Moong Dal Kheer/Payasam is a traditional sweet dish that is made with Moong Dal and coconut milk/milk in south India.This dish is often made as nivedyamm for God and is even consumed during fasting.
It can be given to anyone from a child above 1 yrs to old age people.Since it’s made from moong dal which is easy to digest.
Nutritionally speaking, it is a high protein and slightly high calorie dish.
Yellow Moong dal-1 cup
Coconut milk/milk-1 cup
Organic Jaggery-1 cup
Nuts and Raisins-1/4 cup
- Wash the dal thoroughly twice or thrice and then let it dry.
- Dry roast the dried dal till it leave aroma in a pressure cooker.
- Then add the water and let it pressure cook till the dal becomes soft and mushy.Normally requires 3 whistles.
- Open the lid, mix the contents thoroughly till it forms a soft smooth paste.
- Place the pressure cooker on a low flame.Then add in the cardamon powder, grated jaggery and nuts.
- Let it boil till jaggery melts.Then add in coconut milk( traditional recipe) or milk.
- Serve warm or cool as per preference.