As a kid when it was summers a long visit to my grandma’s house was a must.She prepared fabulous dishes ( I loved her food so I don’t mind calling myself biased ).One of my favorites dishes during summers was the tangy and spicy Kairi/raw mango gravy.
We would go to the local market specially to get those green raw mangoes.One needs to get those organic raw mangoes with more flesh than seed.
Here’s how we prepared it :-
Raw mangos- 4-6
Mustard seeds-2 TSP
Organic Jaggery-3-4 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Buy raw mangos from the local market.
- Wash them thoroughly to remove all impurities.Pat dry.
- Peel the skin.In case the mangoes are big in size you can chop them up roughly.Incase they are small one can use them as it is.
- Heat oil in a wok.Add in red chillies and mustard seeds for seasoning.
- Then add the raw mango.Pour some water and let it cook for 15-20 mins.Or else you can used raw mango that has been steamed in the cooker before hand.It saves time.But personally I prefer the first technique as it enhances the flavour.
- Once it’s properly cooked, add in jaggery and then salt.Grated coconut is optional.
- Serve hot with roti’s, poli’s, rice or bhakri.