Special occasions call for special food.When it’s a birthday, it definitely calls for something equally special and its often a cheat meals.
Since it’s my birthday tomorrow.On this special occassion a very dear friend Sangeet Kochar A.K.A. The chef with a beard gave me virtual treat-a glimpse into his kitchen.He also shared some of his classic reciepes which with his permission I will be sharing with you for occasional treats.
I absolutely love brownies.They are my cheatmeals if i ever have to pick from the pastry section.The first reciepe Chef has shared is: Chocolate Brownie
(Makes 16 brownies)
280 gm (2 cups) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
240 gm (1 1/4 cup) dark chocolate*
190 ml (3/4 cup) water
150 gm (3/4 cup) butter at room temperature
40 gm (5 tbsp) castor sugar
397 gm (1 tin) condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Grease and line a 10” square tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder and baking soda and sieve once to make it uniform.
- In a small sauce pan, put in the dark chocolate pieces, water and heat until the chocolate melts. Stir well to get a smooth sauce and keep aside to cool.
- Set your oven to heat at 180 C/350 F.
- In a large bowl put in the butter and the sugar and beat well with a wire whisk or a hand blender or stand mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Put in the condensed milk and the vanilla extract and beat again for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Mix in the flour and beat again for two or three minutes until all the flour is mixed into the liquid.
- Pour the batter into the tin, tap the tin once or twice to make the batter uniform, scatter the nuts all over on the top and bake for 40 minutes.
Chef’s note:Use 3 bars of Cadbury bournville if you don’t have callebaut cooking chocolate or Use any good quality dark chocolate.
Special tip: Serve these brownies warm as it is or with toppings like chocolate syrup, chocolate sauce, fudge sauce or caramel alongwith vanilla ice cream or whipped cream