Traditionally it’s a Goan dish made from mangoes.It is sweet, tangy, spicy and simply divine to taste. This dish made from mango and coconut with a dash of jaggery, makes it super high in calories so weight watchers beware.
But It holds a special place in my heart cause my grandmother used to make it for me. Though the reciepe was passed down from my grandma to mum somehow the way she made it and how mom makes it are different yet delicious in their own ways. Perhaps it the love that one puts in to make the dish that makes it taste different or its the technique….
Small Mangoes (rival variety)-4-5
Coconut-1 cup heaped
Mustard seeds-1 TSP
Salt as per your taste.
- Grind coconut and red chillies with little water into fine paste.
- Wash the mangoes properly.Peel the skin.Use 4 whole mangoes and use the 5th one to remove it’s pulp.
- Heat oil in a wok.Add in mustard seed and let it sputter.
- Pour in the coconut paste and cook for 8-10 mins on low flame.
- Release the whole mangoes into the gravy and then the pulp.Let it cook for 5-8 mins.
- Add in Jaggery and salt.
- Serve hot with Chapati or rice.